Review: Love & Gelato

Love & Gelato Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4

Love & Gelato - two delicious items one can get in Italy. While I've enjoyed both in Venice, this story takes place in Florence. Lina visits Tuscany for the summer, despite her mother's dying wish, to live with her father. After all, he never played a part in her sixteen years of life, so why bother? But, after finding her mother's journal, she finds out that expectations aren't so black and white.

Quick wrap-up

Pros:

1. Quick pacing

2. A character that's pretty likeable. She's not dim-witted (though at times she was rather unobservant). Her confusion throughout her short journey is relatable. She's grieving her mother - a woman with secrets and facets unbeknownst to her daughter. While she loves her mother, she sometimes feels as though she never knew her.

3. I loved reading about some landmarks in Florence (I haven't visited yet). Vivid descriptions included throughout the pages helped me visualize the story.

4. A bit of Italian thrown in. While not exactly Rosetta Stone, you pick up a word or two for future reference.

5. Her mother's story (the b-story via journal entries) is sad and intriguing (to the point where I wanted more). Prequel perhaps?

6. Fluffy, nothing deep. A good break from reading complex stories. No shade. But, sometimes you do want a bit of fluff, if you read stories with deep subjects.

7. Cute cover. If you remove the jacket you get a simple naked cover in pink and white (gelato covers).

Cons:

1. Insta-love. I get this is a romance of sorts. But, can we understand that no one falls in love within a week or two of meeting the other person. It's called lust, not love. Stop selling this trope. It's unrealistic.

2. I would have appreciate more characterization among the characters. Many of them fell flat and one-dimensional, including Howard, her (view spoiler). Speaking of him, (view spoiler)

A good summery read (though I read it in April). A solid 4. I would've considered a 4.5. But, the insta-love and one-dimensional characters blew the chance.

*This book sits happily on my bookshelf*

No comments:

Post a Comment